Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Jack turns 1!





We celebrated Jack's birthday last weekend with family & friends. Cupcakes, presents, playing with cousins. I don't think Jack could of asked for anything better!

The night before his birthday (June 10th), I lay awake remembering how I felt a year ago before his arrival. Our experience was a little different in that we knew we were going to have a baby at 7am on June 11th because of a planned c-section. Yeah, if I could not have had a c-section I wouldn't have. Jack had flipped upside down in the last few weeks of pregnancy, somewhere between 37-39 weeks. We tried to go in and get an external cephalic version, where the doctor manually tries to flip him around by use of hands & extreme tugging. Let's just say that Jack did not want to move and it was extremely painful trying to get him to do so! He was 8 lbs. 40z and would not budge. So we proceeded with a c-section.

I lay in bed remembering June 10th. I had no idea how much my life would change. I didn't know how many sleepless nights I would have. I didn't know how hard and trying it would be to be a parent. I didn't know how many dirty diapers I would change, owies I would kiss, songs I would sing, smiles I would cherish. I had NO idea how much love I would have for my little man. He is truly one of the best gifts of God's grace I could ever have. He has softened my heart, challenged me and forced me in many ways to turn to the Lord for strength.

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17.

I think any parent can attest to this scripture. At least most days. :)

1 comment:

  1. ::sigh:: You have perfectly described new parenthood. How can something so hard also be so, so wonderful?

    Happy birthday to your little guy. He looks quite happy with his cupcake!

    ReplyDelete